[MPlayer-users] CRT settings for MPlayer

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Mon Oct 17 01:22:27 CEST 2005

Roger Andreassen wrote:

> DaveG wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 16 October 2005 19:57, Roger Andreassen wrote:
>> > I also asked for a decent gamma setting. I'd say from 1.0 to 1.7
>> improves
>> > the contrast significantly. I'm going with the nvidia-settings
>> adjustments
>> > without touching the monitor itself. How does this sound?
>>
>> Doesn't sound right.
>>
>> Have a look at
>> http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/calibration/blackpoint/crt_brightness_and_contrast.htm
>>

> Yes, that's funny because the gamma for a Mac suggests 2.5/1.45 which
> is 1.72. That's what I tried.
>
> The link suggests a gamma for 2.5 which makes everything white here.
> I've settled for 1.68 which makes tvtime much nicer but I have no clue
> what's going on.

Funny thing - I tried the link and the best value revealed to be 2.6. It
is quite tough, as my eye is comforted
when gamma is set to 1.2 ;) I watch many photos on screen, and they are
all displayed good, much better than
on other systems. So I really doubt I understand what 2.6 exactly means.
Not kgamma's values for sure.

I think your problem is somehow garbled settings of graphics chip, since
it can set gamma for usual screen
and overlay surface independently. Possibly, it thinks about gamma 0.5
on overlay or so. But I do not know
how to tune it in linux, unfortunately. I also wish sometimes to alter
overlay's gamma, but nVidia driver does
not allow me to do it.

Philipp