[MPlayer-users] [BUGREPORT] -oa pcm produces invalid wav header

vitko vitk0 at seznam.cz
Mon Oct 17 14:17:22 CEST 2005

In June I was inquiring about strange behavior of oggenc failing to encode
-ao pcm audio dump obtained from RealAudio stream.

The last note from this list was from Reimar:

 >> Today oggenc started to complain:
 >>
 >>    $ oggenc audiodump.wav
 >>    ERROR: Wav file is unsupported subformat (must be 8,16, or 24 bit PCM
 >>    or floating point PCM
 >>    ERROR: Input file "test.wav" is not a supported format
 > [..]
 >> I'd be very grateful for any solution of this mystery.
 >
 > use -af channels=2, oggenc can't encode mono files (I know, stereo
 > should be default. Unfortunately I broke it, I'll fix it as soon as I
 > have time).

I filled a bug in Xiph bugzilla and just today got reply from Michael Smith
(Xiph) as the issue was closed:

---

  Looks like a bug in mplayer - it's generating invalid wav headers.
  Obviously, the oggenc error message wasn't very helpful either.

  I've changed this particular case to a warning instead of an error - we
  now just ignore the invalid value. You should probably report this to
  mplayer as well, though, get them to generate correct wav files.

---

Please see details in Xiph bugzilla, link below:

http://trac.xiph.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/671

Vit