[MPlayer-users] Re: playing while dumping a mp3 stream

Hugo Vanwoerkom hvw59601 at care2.com
Fri Oct 21 12:27:30 CEST 2005

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Some months ago this subject was posted here:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user/38172/match=recording+and+playing
>

> It offered 2 ways of doing this:
>
>  > mkfifo stream.dump
>  > mplayer -dumpstream <url>
>  > cat stream.dump | tee SavedStream.wmv | mplayer -
>
> and
>
> mplayer -nortc -really-quiet -dumpstream <url>
> tail -f stream.dump | mplayer -
>
> However, either method does not play but produces:
> Cannot seek backward in linear streams!
> Seek failed
>
> Has anybody actually dumped a mp3 stream and listened to it at the same
> time?

Everybody knew this already except me, apparently!
Itś very simple, don't need tail, nor fifo. Just dump the stream and
play it with sox!

mplayer -ao pcm -aofile /mplayer.wav -cache 1000 -vc null -vo null
http://128.125.204.54:2345/kuscaudio.mp3

I do that in the background.
Then anyplace:
play /mplayer.wav

Voilá: playing and recording at the same time.

PS. Very nice classical station... the best.