[MPlayer-users] mencoder: Trying to convert real format to xvid

Ergzay ergzay at everyoneproductions.com
Mon Oct 31 00:30:24 CET 2005

On 2005/10/30, at 18:09, Scott Cegielski wrote:

> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>>
>> On 10/30/05, Scott Cegielski <scegielski at charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>> As per your advice, I am trying the cvs version of mplayer.  I ran
>>> into
>>> some trouble though.
>>>
>>> First, I thought I could just copy the libavcodec and libavformat
>>> directories from the non-cvs version and then build the cvs version
>>> using those.  Hoever, the cvs version also apparently wants the
>>> libavutil directory since it gave me the message:
>>> vf_qp.c:49:33: ../libavutil/common.h: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> So, I used cvs to get the source files for ffmpeg and tried to build
>>> that first.  No luck there either.  It gets pretty far and then craps
>>> out with these messages:
>>> /home/scottc/mplayer_cvs/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:40: undefined reference
>>> `_av_mallocz'
>>> null.o: In function `Process':
>>> /home/scottc/mplayer_cvs/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:56: undefined reference
>>> `_avpicture_get_size'
>>> /home/scottc/mplayer_cvs/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:57: undefined reference
>>> `_av_malloc'
>>> /home/scottc/mplayer_cvs/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:59: undefined reference
>>> `_avpicture_fill'
>>> /home/scottc/mplayer_cvs/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:60: undefined reference
>>> `_img_convert'
>>> /home/scottc/mplayer_cvs/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:71: undefined reference
>>> `_img_convert'
>>> /home/scottc/mplayer_cvs/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:76: undefined reference
>>> `_av_free'
>>> null.o: In function `Release':
>>> /home/scottc/mplayer_cvs/ffmpeg/vhook/null.c:33: undefined reference
>>> `_av_free'
>>>
>>> Im not sure if I need some other pre-requisite to get the ffmpeg
>>> stuff
>>> to build correctly.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> You should really read the online docs!
>> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html has everything you
>> need to do a proper compilation of MPlayer from CVS. You must not copy
>> ffmpeg in mplayer source tree. You just need to copy libav* to mplayer
>> source tree:
>>
>> CVS
>> Downloading MPlayer CVS
>>
>> You can also get MPlayer via anonymous CVS. Issue the following
>> commands to get the latest sources:
>>
>>  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/mplayer login
>>  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/mplayer co -P main
>>
>> When asked for a password, just hit enter. A directory named main will
>> be created. You can later update your sources by saying
>>
>>  cvs -z3 update -dPA
>>
>> from within that directory.
>> FFmpeg libavcodec/libavutil/libavformat
>>
>> CVS MPlayer is not fully functional without a copy of the libavcodec,
>> libavformat and libavutil libraries from FFmpeg. Get FFmpeg CVS via
>>
>>  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg login
> [...]

First of all, please don't top post. Mencoder appears to be failing on
the choice of output codec. It is using by default mp2 at bitrate of
224 which isn't allowed. I see in what you entered into mencoder
doesn't specify an audio codec. I suggest specifying an output audio
format and bitrate. Depending on what your use of the file is going to
be mp3 at 32 kbit/s is a good suggestion as the audio is already 32.386
kbit/s.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this as I don't really use mencoder.

Ergzay