[MPlayer-users] broadcast live stream to darwin streaming server from mencoder?

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Sep 1 20:21:00 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:41:56PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Does somebody know some script or tool to broadcast (live) video from
> mencoder to darwin/quicktime streaming server?
>
> Apple has software called "Quicktime Broadcaster" which encodes video from
> DV camera on the fly and broadcasts the stream to darwin/quicktime streaming
> server, and people can then view the stream from the server.
>
> Basicly I need something similar, but instead of live video (camera) source,
> I need to transcode another live stream to MPEG4/MP4 and then broadcast it
> to darwin streaming server.
>
> So on box1 I need to transcode the stream to MPEG4/MP4 and submit it to box2
> to the darwin streaming server. Clients then connect to box2 to view the
> MPEG4/MP4 stream.
>
> Any ideas?

Just found this: http://open4all.info/ossa/_Darwin_Streaming_Server

"When encoder and the server are not on the same multicast channel, the
encoder machine can send encoded content to the server through normal UDP
traffic, pointing to the IP number and any available UDP port at the
server."

"(Note. In either case, multicast or unicast streams take 2 UDP ports per
stream: 2 for audio and 2 for video!)"

That sounds like it should not be too difficult to send stream from
mencoder to darwin streaming server..

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .