[MPlayer-users] mjpeg playback solid green

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Mon Sep 5 01:47:01 CEST 2005

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> >     On an OSX 10.4.2 system when I play back a MJPEG-A file all that
> >     appears is a window of solid (bright/lime) green.

> Well, you're not alone here. I've had the same problem, but there
> could be differences between our cases. Where did you get this video
> from? Is it possible we could have a sample?

	Friend in Austria sent it to me (as some PAL MJPG test data).

	But it's easy to create/generate a file.  I believe ffmpeg can encode
	to mjpeg.  If you have mjpegtools (and y4mscaler) available then
	this:

y4mcolorbars -S 444 -n 75 -W 720 -H 576 -F 25:1 -A 59:54 -I t | \
    y4mscaler -O chromass=422 | \
    yuv2lav -f a -b 512 -I 1 -q 90 -o cbars.avi

	will generate a MJPEG file with 3 seconds of colorbars.  Playing
	that back with mplayer gives the same bright green (with a bit of
	corruption on the last couple lines) screen.

	I could upload the 'cbars.avi' file if it's needed (about 2MB) - where
	would be a good place to put it?

	Steven Schultz