[MPlayer-users] Interlaced NTSC -> PAL DVD

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at dunaweb.hu
Sat Sep 10 10:26:38 CEST 2005

Hi,

here is the situation: my neighbour has a MiniDV camera
that he bought when he was in Canada. The camera obviously
produces NTSC interlaced material.

He asked me to create DVDs from his recordings but
since we are in Hungary, I would like to make PAL DVDs.

This script produced visible interlaced artifacts:

dvgrab --format raw --frames 0 --size 0 film.dv
ffmpeg -f dv -i film.dv -target dvd -b 3000 -ab 224 -s pal film.mpg

Note, the target is "dvd", not "pal-dvd". Is it a problem?
The resolution given is "pal". How can I convert the NTSC
frame rate to PAL frame rate? The video and audio bitrates
were chosen so three one-hour recordings fit on one DVD.

When I gave option "-deinterlace" to ffmpeg, it created
an MPEG2 file that looked good for viewing on the computer.
Then I tried to make a DVD from this file, but replaying
wasn't too smooth. However replaying the plain MPEG2 file
was very smooth. Replaying those MPEG2 files that I converted
without "-deinterlace" were smooth on both DVD and plain
but had interlaced artifacts.

Unfortunately, the original DV file is now deleted and
the DV casette is overwritten, too. So, how can I create
a PAL DVD conforming MPEG2 file from this de-interlaced
MPEG2 file?

Please, suggest an ffmpeg command line, so the NTSC DV
source is converted correctly to PAL resolution and frame rate
in one go.

I used DVDStyler from http://dvdstyler.sourceforge.net to
create the DVD menu and file system, for replaying I used
Xine if it's important. For the conversion, I used the RPMs
from freshrpms.net, compiled from src.rpm files, e.g.
ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.2.20050427.2.fc4.x86_64

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi