[MPlayer-users] The best quality OSS mpeg2 encoder?

Joe Friedrichsen pengi.films at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 12:39:22 CEST 2005

The Wanderer wrote:

> I'll note here that I've seen a few people talk about accomplishing this
> (creation of acceptable-quality DVD-compliant streams) quite
> successfully; the person who springs to mind is Elf Sternberg, who's
> posted reasonably step-by-step descriptions - using MEncoder as the
> primary but AFAIR not sole tool, which latter is why I never passed any
> of it on to here - on both Usenet (rec.arts.anime.misc at least) and his
> blog (http://www.livejournal.com/users/elfs/) at various points in the
> past. I don't know how easy any of that would be to find, but you might
> consider giving it a try.

Sorry to take the conversation off-list. I realized my mistake about 3
seconds after the email was sent. I was only able to find the older
howto (http://tinyurl.com/d5wyj [groups.google.com]) and nothing more
recent. But I'm not too bothered for now. Also, others suggested a few
other tools as well
(http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?DVtoDVD,
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=27528).

>> How intertwined are these tools? [libavcodec, FFmpeg, and MEncoder]
>

> Depends how you mean it. libavcodec does not depend in the least on
> MPlayer/MEncoder, although that is AFAIK the primary place where said
> library is used; MPlayer/MEncoder do not require libavcodec, and are
> entirely capable of using many other codec implementations (including a
> number of closed-source binary codecs), but something like (at a guess)
> two-thirds of their best functionality will disappear if it is not used.

Cheers. Thanks for your thorough answers. Thanks, too, to RC for great
details. The landscape changed around me (4 tools collapsed into 2), and
I wanted to make sure this was the case.

Joe