[MPlayer-users] slightly confused by mencoder output

The Eye mhellwig at gmx.at
Mon Sep 12 09:26:30 CEST 2005

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 09:39:32PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:08:25 +0200
> The Eye <mhellwig at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > video0:width=720:height=530:
>
> A height of 530 is nonsensical.  Since the content is interlaced, you
> can only capture at the card's full heigh (576 PAL / 480 NTSC) or
> exactly half (or 1/4 1/8 etc).
> Use "-vf scale=x:y" if you want a different output height.
>
> > crop=688:518:16:6,pp=fd
>
> Your output dimentions should be exact multiples of 16.

hmmmm ... o-kay. Gotta play some more with that *scratches head*.

> > now, what I'm confused about is a: why the 2 "Building audio filter
> > chain" lines? b: Why the two "ODML: Aspect information ..." lines?
>
> Well, a highly technical explanation about the internals of mplayer
> would explain this, but I think that might leave you more confused.
>
> The simple answer is, these are often just informational messages,
> designed to help diagnose problems.

ah, ok, so nothing for me to worry about.

> > And while the file is running, over the course of 40 minutes, the
> > audio drifts _considerably_ away from the video. Looks like more than
> > a second near the end.
>
> Well, with any a/v problems with mplayer, try with "-mc 0", "-mc 0.1" "-
> mc 10", and "-autosync 30".
>
> If that doesn't solve it, it's probably clock drift, caused by capturing
> audio using your sound-card.

Does that mean that a soundcard has an internal clock which needs to be
good for this to work? 'cos I recently changed the soundcard that
records TV-audio, so this could be why I am suddenly seeing this.

But afaik, there's no way to record stuff directly from the soundcard
for saa7134-based card (i.e. like the btaudio thing). Or is there?

--
Michael Hellwig  aka  The Eye                 olymp.idle.at admin
check out http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csaa5128 for gpg public key