[MPlayer-users] The best quality OSS mpeg2 encoder?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Sep 13 08:58:41 CEST 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:26:43 +0900
Joe Friedrichsen <pengi.films at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with you after looking at FFmpeg's command line options and
> MEncoder's libavcodec options: the MEncoder set offers much more
> control, though the cvs timestamps are older for MEncoder's
> libavcodec. MEncoder covered every option in the FFmpeg docs
> (http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ffmpeg-doc.html) except for one: "-
> intra" (for only using I frames),

Mencoder offers more options from the command-line because, with ffmpeg,
you are expected to make a config file with the options you chose.  It
works, but I don't happen to like it.

If you want a more recent version of libavcodec, just use a CVS snapshot
of mplayer. (read instructions for getting/building CVS on mplayerhq.hu)

For intra-only, just use "keyint=1" in mencoder.

> However, these differences may just be a discrepancy between the
> current cvs versions and the online documentation at FFmpeg.

You can be pretty sure that's the issue.  ffmpeg's online docs don't
get updated very often.