[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: slightly confused by mencoder output

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 14 04:10:10 CEST 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:59:51PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 13. September 2005 09:11 schrieb RC:
> > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:37:41 +0200
> >
> > Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Or any other supported resolution if you have a saa7134 card because
> > > the saa7134 chip has a not-so-bad deinterlacer.
> >
> > Does it do ivtc too?
>
> I don't know. I'm living in a PAL country :-)
> I think it's doing only deinterlacing.
>
> > If not, it would be a good idea to mention this
> > is PAL-specific...
>
> Deinterlacing is not pal-specific. You can deinterlace ntsc as well but
> sometimes it would be better to use ivtc. But that's a disadvantage of
> NTSC, not a PAL-speciality.

No, this is a lack of understanding on your part. Both PAL and NTSC
are interlaced formats which use pulldown to display film content.
NTSC just happens to be 3:2, whereas PAL is 2:2 (with horrible
speed-up) or 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3. :) Also there's no guarantee
that 2:2 PAL is in phase with the field pairing of the capture device.
Basically you always need some sort of inverse pulldown for film
content, regardless of whether you have NTSC or PAL. It's just that
sometimes with PAL you get lucky and the capture device/broadcast/dvd
field pairing happens to give you the desired frame matching.

Rich