[MPlayer-users] About files generated by a videocamera

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 14 18:26:12 CEST 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 05:27:13PM +0200, Fabio S. wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have some question about the behaviour of mencoder with the files I get
> with my new camera Sanyo Xanti C5
> First of all, let me point out that it saves mp4 (quicktime) files on a SD
> card.
>
> Since the camera produces a file for every time I press rec, I want to
> join files saved the same day. Moreover, I reencode files because my dvd
> player can't play Sanyo original format. For the latter task, I have no
> problem:
>
> mencoder file.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=3000:vpass=1:mbd=2:trell:v4mv -ffourcc DIVX
>
> mencoder file.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=3000:vpass=2:mbd=2:trell:v4mv -ffourcc DIVX
>
> does the job.
>
> To join the files, as suggested by the documentation I use
>
> cat 1.avi 2.avi 3.avi > a.avi
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -forceidx -o b.avi a.avi

This is NOT suggested by the documentation. It was documented in OLD
versions of mplayer as a VERY BAD HACK that would _sometimes_ work,
and it's long since been removed (if I'm wrong and it's still in the
docs somewhere, please tell us so we can remove it).

Simply encode all the files at once with mencoder:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=3000:vpass=1:mbd=2:trell:v4mv -ffourcc DIVX file1.mp4 file2.mp4 file3.mp4 ...

Rich