[MPlayer-users] About files generated by a videocamera

Fabio S. fast at ferrara.linux.it
Thu Sep 15 09:53:58 CEST 2005

>      mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o out.avi file1.avi file2.avi
>
> I don't see any mention of "cat" except for the comment that it works
> (with luck ;) for mpeg files.

You are right: may be I just saved the "cat" version in my script from the
very first time I tried it and, since it worked fine till now, I didn't
check any longer if it was deprecated or not.

>>> Simply encode all the files at once with mencoder:
>>>
>>> mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>>> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=3000:vpass=1:mbd=2:trell:v4mv -ffourcc DIVX
>>> file1.mp4 file2.mp4 file3.mp4 ...
>>
>> Oh, well, this is much simpler! I will try it.
>
> OK. And remember. For mplayer/mencoder, order of options matters.
> Options before any filenames are global; options after a filename
> apply to that particular file only. So the filenames should probably
> all be at the end like I wrote them unless you want special filtering
> per-file.

I will remember this, thanks. BTW: I tried and it works fine. This will
simplify significantly my job.

>> Any hint about how to extract the registration date from the file?
>
> Hm? Not sure what you mean.

I mean this: with pictures taken with a digital camera (even the Sanyo
Xanti C5, which is something hybrid), using exif I get many info about
the shot (date, focal length, exposure, and so on).
On the other side, the Sanyo stores somewhere and somehow inside the mp4
file some info, like date and length (but much less than exif info stored
for a picture). It is not in exif format and I have not been able to guess
how to see this info. Yet it is there, somewhere, because I can see the
date, for example, using Ulead on windows if I try to create a dvd.

Bye

Fabio