[MPlayer-users] [BUGREPORT] I/O errors on DVD playback (totem plays it fine)

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Fri Sep 16 10:22:51 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

> But does it allow bad sectors? IMO not.

I wouldn't be too sure about it, but OTOH intact sectors would still
deliver garbage if they are used in playback, since the jumps are not
made, so between part A, B and C to be played there is still Garbage_1
and Garbage_2 played, which may become a problem.

> Returning them should be easy as long as you buy them from a real
> person and not online store.

I don't know how this is handled in the U.S., but over here in germany
(whether it is a normal store or online store) it's "Once you unseal,
there's no more deal".

> Download the DVD rips. This is always the proper solution when the
> official media is purposefully crippled by the vendor in such a way
> that it's not usable.

Oh come on! You'll also suggest that if a disc wouldn't be protected,
but would cost an outrageous amount of money to also download the rip,
since "the official media is purposefully high-priced by the vendor in
such a way that it's not affordable" and therefore, since I still want
it, I'll get it anyhow.

Cheers,
Alex