[MPlayer-users] cdda:// -ac ffdts

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Thu Sep 22 10:14:34 CEST 2005

Ergzay wrote:
> On 2005/09/22, at 1:26, ACS wrote:
>

>>>AudioCD can't be DTS. If you're saying it can, then show us the
>>>standard
>>>that says so.
>>
>>Do some google-ing yourself.
>>At the start of DTS sound in theatres, it was all audio CD source.
>>timecode stuff was used to timesync audio to the video.

Sorry for reading this so late, but Audio-CDs with dts never existed.
The CDs used in theaters to store the movie audio int the system dts
(which has not really *that* much to do with the dts stream found on
DVDs) is on a CD-ROM and is accessed as a file rather some obscure Audio
CD format. It's like having a WAV (or somewhat compressed) file with
timecode meta infos, and the player/projector's sound unit plays the
audio sample with the appropriate sample number, given to him from the
projector. This format at first was secret and later was cracked, so it
is possible for projectionists to copy the CD-Roms delivered with the
film reels and extract from them the digital audio, also a reason why
some major distributors did not ship their films with DTS recently. This
situation has improved lately, since the DTS on CD-ROM standard has been
altered (via the option that a new codec/encoding/decoding algorithm has
been delivered on newer Soundtracks, which updates the player hardware.
Older DTS-Hardware is not able to update itself, so these had to be
replaced (or go back to play SRD or SDDS or even Analogue).

Now to my knowledge, the new DTS has not (yet) been hacked.

hth,
Alex