[MPlayer-users] cdda:// -ac ffdts

Thu Sep 22 20:50:26 CEST 2005

Hi Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski!

 On 2005.09.22 at 20:13:10 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote next:

> > > AudioCD can't be DTS. If you're saying it can, then show us the standard
> > > that says so.
> >
> > You should go to nearest big audio shop and ask for dts cd (or audio cd
> > with 5.1 sound, it'll be the same). They'll prove you that you are wrong..
>
> I will and I'm pretty sure they won't have any.

Yeah, dvd-a discs are superior in any way, and modern hardware that can
play dts most likely plays it too, so dts audio discs will die, but for
example in Russia you won't find dvd-a (same applies to sacd) discs
everywhere (in fact, I know only two shops where you can buy them),
while dts discs are more available. Not in every shop, of course, but in
a lot of them you'll find some on occasion.

> > Its biggest feature is the fact that it can be played back on any cd
> > player with digital out, even on discman, if you have dts receiver.
>
> It's not CD Audio then and it doesn't carry the CD Audio logo.

Why would you care about logo? I always thought that that logo and audio
cd itself aren't licensed anyway...
It has logos "DTS High Definition Surround" and "Compact disc digital
data". Anyway, since it's playable on regular CD player, it IS audio cd.
Also in computer, it looks exactly like audio cd. You can rip it with
cdparanoia to wav files, compress them with flac, decompress and burn
like regular audio cd. Its only difference is that it contains
dts-encoded stream instead of pcm, and that's transparent to anything
besides actual decoder.

The funny thing about dts audio discs is that while their contents is
lossy compresssed with dts, flac can compress it to about 70% of
original size. However, mplayer isn't able to play dts-inside-flac, so
it gives no benefits.

--

Vladimir