[MPlayer-users] Is PSNR a definitive way of judging the quality of encoded files?

VJ vijay.s.gill at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 14:28:37 CEST 2005

Hi,

I ran a test of encoding a small file with various values of mbcmp,cmp
and subcmp (ran a small script to do it and save results in a cvs file
which I could use to plot a graph), of course with mbd=0.

I found that with mbcmp=4,cmp=2,subcmp=2 the PSNR was the highest
among various values of cmp and subcmp. Also the different values of
mbcmp I tested for were all the ones mentioned in man page of
mplayer(0-10). I used 2 pass encoding.

Increasing the value of cmp and subcmp beyond does not make much
difference but reduces the speed of encoding.

I just wanted to ask this question in the subject and share my
experience with other users of mencoder.

Regards from
VJ