[MPlayer-users] Length of dvd query

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Mon Sep 26 04:27:59 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-25 at 20:37 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am interested in the play length of the DVD.
> not individual tracks.

I'm not sure what you really mean by "track" here.  I'm going to assume
you mean chapter and not title, because for most users the total length
of all titles on the DVD isn't very interesting.

Normally I would recommend using mplayer with -identify and looking at
ID_LENGTH, but mplayer is hardly ever accurate when it comes to DVDs.
So I recommend instead using lsdvd.  Generally the movie itself is on
title 1, so you can call lsdvd -t 1 to obtain the movie length.  e.g.:

[tack at viper movies]$ lsdvd -t 1
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access
Disc Title: CRASH
Title: 01, Length: 01:52:21.000 Chapters: 25, Cells: 25, Audio streams: 08, Subpictures: 32

Cheers,
Jason.