[MPlayer-users] ssa reader for mplayer using vf_overlay

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Thu Sep 29 16:06:05 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 03:51 -0400, Robert Henney wrote:
> on at least one of my machines, between the time the overlay is first
> made visible and the time 0x20 is written to the lock byte, the overlay
> shows lots of green garbage.  for most apps that make use of an overlay

I suppose vf_overlay should zero the whole BGRA buffer when it's
initialized.  That would prevent this problem.  Until I release a new
patch that has this, you could do this right in your application right
when you first attach to the shared memory segment.

> ok, now for an odd one.  If the slave command get_time_pos is sent while
> mplayer is paused, the video starts playing again.  while I think this
> may be an mplayer bug, something interesting occurs if the overlay

Yes, mplayer can't respond to slave commands while it's paused, and the
result of trying is that the video suddenly unpauses.  With vf_overlay,
the exception to this is the overlay slave command.

I'd like to see mplayer handle more commands while paused, especially
seeking and loadfiles.  (My local copy of mplayer has this ability.)
get_time_pos I suppose would be nice too, but it's not necessary,
strictly speaking.  Your app should know mplayer's state, and should
know that when it's paused, the current time is whatever time was last
outputted on the status line.  (For my applications, I just parse the
status lines to get current time/pos information.)

> happens to be visible.  the video plays extremely jumpy.  to get rid of
> the jumpyness, one needs only hit space twice to re-pause and then
> continue playing.  could vf_overlay be maintaining a state during pause
> mode that it doesn't get out of because the unpause was caused by an
> irregular event it might not have heard?

This one sounds weird for sure.  Which vf_overlay patch are you using?
(What's the date in the filename?)

Cheers,
Jason.