[MPlayer-users] DRM .wma

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Apr 2 21:12:24 CEST 2006

On Sunday, 02 April 2006 at 21:07, David Corbin wrote:
> On Sunday 02 April 2006 10:00 am, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > >
> > > Out of curiosity, what would be required for Mplayer to be able to
> > > play DRM'd files?
> >
> > Full DRM spec would be useful. Apple's has been (partially?)
> > reverse-engineered already AFAIK. But MPlayer developers are not fond of
> > supporting DRM.
> >
> > EFF's website explains most of the issues with DRM more eloquently than
> > I could hope to on this mailing list, so please read it.
> >
> > http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/guide/
> > http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/
>
> OK.  Thanks.  I think I understand all downsides of DRM, and generally support
> open standards.  But sometimes what you want is available no other way.  An
> in particular, I'm talking about something available from the library, so I'm
> not even the "paying customer" as far as the content owner is concerned.

Try convincing your library then. Talk about fair use, open standards and
not forcing you to buy expensive proprietary software. Talk about
accessibility (i.e. is it available to blind or hearing-impaired people?).
The last argument should bear a lot of weight.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression