[MPlayer-users] How to tell how far through you are

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Sun Apr 2 22:31:00 CEST 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 15.03, Raphael wrote:

> Kichigai Mentat wrote:

[snip]

>>> http://www.lesshaste.plus.com/test.dump
>>
>> Well, I looked at your file, and I discovered some interesting
>> things about it. First off: the sample you dumped was indeed a
>> RealMedia muxed file, not just a stream dump of the audio.
>> However, it's done weirdly. MPlayer will play it, but, as you
>> said, seeking is totally b0rk'd. It wouldn't give me the proper
>> seek in seconds, but I was able to get the percentage to work with
>> -idx (not what you're looking for, but it gives us something to
>> start from).
>>
>> However, when I tried playing it in VLC, it simply started to fill
>> up the playlist with gibberish, and spat back enough errors to
>> crash the player. I took a stab at it with the RealPlayer (yeah, I
>> have that...) but it refused to play the file. It gave a nod to
>> RealAudio 8, but that's about it. ffplay just locks up when I try
>> to play it.
>>
>> I also tried my solution: remux it with Matroska. MKVMerge
>> recognizes the RealMedia muxing, but it can't find an audio
>> stream. Try as I might, I can't get anything out of it. I also
>> tried dumping the raw audio data to a file using -dumpaudio. The
>> dump is successful, but the binary data is worthless. MPlayer/
>> MEncoder don't recognize it, and neither does MKVMerge.
>>
>> How did you come across this file? Is it a download? A stream
>> dump? I think that the problem isn't completely with MPlayer any
>> more, but also with the source. Do YOU have any other players that
>> recognize the file? As an OS X user, I have a different library of
>> tools available (No win32 codecs...) so perhaps you can dig up
>> something I can't.
> The file was created with
>
> mplayer -dumpstream rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/
> radio1/live/r1_dsat_g2.ra

Well, there's part of the problem. RealNetworks likes to be very
possessive with their media. Also, this is a progressive stream. If
this were a video, it'd probable be in a MPEG-2 Transport Stream. It
was never meant to be seeked (well, I don't know another word for
it... sought?) through. The stream was just never meant for this.