[MPlayer-users] Encoding too slow on AMD Athlon 64 3000+ comparing with Pentium Celeron M 1, 4

Martin Kamín martinkamin at quick.cz
Mon Apr 3 09:42:56 CEST 2006

Dne út 28. března 2006 19:42 Martin Kamín napsal(a):
> Hello again,
>
> I didn't find solution to my problem on the internet, maybe somebody will
> help me here. Mencoding is *really* slow on AMD Athlon 64 3000+ comparing
> with Pentium Celeron M 1,4 - lets say 3-4times slower
>
> The whole process runs well and it is done well, but comparing encoding
> time on my Athlon 63 3000+ with old Pentium Celeron M notebook, diference
> is really HUGE.
>
> Encoding of my 1 hour movie is done within 4 hours (6-8 frames per second)
> AMD Encoding of my 1 hour movie is done within 1 hour (24 frames per
> second) Pentium Celeron M 1,4
>
> Any ideas?
> Martin
Here is summary of my weekend searching:

1. I found lavc faster on both Pentium M 1+,4 and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ than
xvid codecs

2. I found, that -ffourcc DX50 allows me to play encodec videos on my
standalone DVD Player, so I can use lavc instead of xvid codec

3. xvidcodec speed never steps over 35 frames / second barrier

4. quality is almost same (xvid vrs. lavc)

5. SPEED of encoding via xvid codec remains unsolved

Martin