[MPlayer-users] Bug 2 of 2: -framedrop gives lots oferrormessageswith h264

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 17:31:04 CEST 2006

I will bow to this philosophical difference between myself and the MPlayer
community. It's their program, so their opinion is the one that counts. I
also concede that it is better for me to waste my time than the developers'
time.

> > 1) Fixed in CVS.
>
>I really wouldn't count that.  Trying CVS first is pretty much
>mandatory.  You might as well include mis-typed command-lines, changed
>options, etc.

I meant to say, "A developer got on the case and in the twinkling of an eye
fixed your problem in CVS". In any case, I doubt that many people try the
*very* latest CVS (although I suppose that they should) if they have one
that is just a few days old, especially if the latest CVS does not compile
on their system without a patch (which is a small issue that I am having
right now - I have to configure, apply the patch, then compile).

> > 2) I broke it in CVS when I fixed some other problem. Try this patch.
>
>That can often be CPU or compilier-specific as well.

Don't know about often, but I suppose so.

>Having someone read a vastly longer doc, telling
>them what they need to include in each case, how to trace it down, etc.,
>would certainly be more work for the users, for very little gain.

You don't need special-case bug reporting procedures. How about 2
categories: Essential, and Optional-but-very-welcome. The problem is that
people here seem to think that *everything* is essential, and I don't, but,
as I said, I yield.

>Do you regularly try to reproduce the
>problems reported on mplayer-user?

I have never tried to reproduce anyone's problem. This is because I am not a
developer, and I am not generally in a position to understand, let alone fix
the problem. All I can do is say "Me, too!". Also, I have a dial-up Internet
connection at home, so downloading even a small sample takes a long time.
But if I were trying to fix the problem, the first thing I would try to find
out is whether the problem affects everyone (or at least me, too!) or just
that person.

>No, he did not post his CPU information until long after he was told ...

True, but I am sure that the person who replied did not need to know.

>Not to flame here, but Ergzay hasn't exactly been helping himself.
>not bothering to search the list, etc.

Also true.