[MPlayer-users] system-wide libdvdcss?

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Mon Apr 3 19:53:59 CEST 2006

William Norfleet wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 11:35 -0400, Rashkae wrote:

>>> Although I understand this is no consolation to linux users there are
>>> numerous windows tools for playing DVDs with all kinds of protection.
>> Xine also has no trouble with these. Alas, xine disables the stream saving feature for DVD's.. (how code like this gets into an Open source project without triggering a fork is beyond me.)

> That's my experience, too:  Xine can play these DVDs using
> libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1.i386.rpm (the latest version I can find), but not
> with an earlier version (libdvdcss-1.2.8-2.network.i386.rpm, I think).
>
> What options should be utilized with ./configure to get MPlayer to use
> the system-wide libdvdcss rather than the version included with the
> MPlayer source?  A careful reading of ./configure --help did not reveal
> an obvious approach, nor did a search of the archives of this list.  An
> old Google hit describes the use of "--with-csslibdir=DIR",
> but ./configure execution halts with:
> Unknown parameter: --with-csslibdir=/usr/lib/
>
> /usr/lib/ seems to be where my system-wide libdvdcss is:
> [bill at desk main]$ ls /usr/lib/*css*
> /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2      /usr/lib/lib-org-w3c-dom-css-2.4.1.so
> /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.8  /usr/lib/lib-org-w3c-dom-css.so
> [bill at desk main]$
>
> [bill at desk mplayer]$ rpm -qp --filesbypkg libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1.i386.rpm
> libdvdcss2                /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2
> libdvdcss2                /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.8
> libdvdcss2                /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2-1.2.9
> libdvdcss2                /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2-1.2.9/AUTHORS
> libdvdcss2                /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2-1.2.9/COPYING
> libdvdcss2                /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2-1.2.9/NEWS
> [bill at desk mplayer]$
>

> So:  Has "--with-csslibdir=DIR" been deprecated?  Or am using the wrong
> path to libdvdcss?  Or should I be using some other ./configure options?

Using only the current dvdcss lib does not solve the problem (afaik, I
have to verify this), but the usage of DVDnav should. Not DVD menus per
se, but the correct implementation of the DVD VM, following all Cell
Commands, which is very loosely implemented in current mplayer and
therefore falls in the pits the copy protection creates. I'll try the
patch mentioned before on mplayer to see if it bears any luck later this
evening!

cheers,
Alex