[MPlayer-users] wrong aspect on widescreen monitor

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Wed Apr 5 20:59:02 CEST 2006

kay wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade from a crt monitor which I run on 1024x768 resolution
> to a tft widescreen monitor, resolution 1440x900.
>
> But when I play a dvd or a file from disc, mplayer displays too wide,
> with a wrong aspect, even though it detects that my monitor is running
> at 1440x900.
>
> Except for the (probably not relevant) line about "Uninit audio filters",
> the only difference with running mplayer -v dvd://1 on the crt and tft
> monitors, when I do a test, is
>
> crt: vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":1.0" => local display)
> tft: vo: X11 running at 1440x900 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
>
> crt: [xv] dx: 0 dy: 0 dw: 768 dh: 576
> tft: [xv] dx: 0 dy: 0 dw: 922 dh: 576
>
> The lines about aspect were identical on crt and tft:
> Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
> VO Config (720x576->768x576,flags=0,'MPlayer',0x32315659)
> VO: [xv] 720x576 => 768x576 Planar YV12
> VO: Description: X11/Xv
>
> On 1024x768 crt monitor this resulted in the correct aspect, on the 1440x900 tft
> monitor in a to wide aspect. I can correct this manually with -x nnn but since
> that uses a absolute number I have to find out the correct number for each different
> movie, which is really inconvenient. For some reason Xine displays correctly, but
> I would rather keep using mplayer.
>
> Is there some way to persuade mplayer to display the correct aspect automatically?
Mplayer always assumes 4:3 monitors (unless otherwise set up) and
therefore thinks your 1440x900 pixel are non-square and still fit into a
4:3 display.

You can correct this with -monitoraspect 1440/900, either on the command
line (for testing purposes, I'm not quite sure about the syntax)) or
later in the .mplayer/config for permanent settings.

hth,
Alex