[MPlayer-users] calling mplayerplug-in crashes mozilla-1.7

Steve Kleene skmpl at syrano.acb.uc.edu
Sat Apr 8 22:53:15 CEST 2006

I have been using a successful combination of mozilla-1.4 and
mplayerplug-in-2.60-rhel3.i386 under Red Hat Enterprise WS3.  Because of a
problem with the homepage at nytimes.com, I just upgraded Mozilla via
mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.12-installer.tar.gz.  The nytimes problem is
fixed, but now Mozilla crashes anytime it tries to use mplayerplug-in.  For
example, I have a QuickTime movie that still plays fine from mplayer but
crashes when I try to open it within Mozilla.  The crash error is:

/usr/local/mozilla/run-mozilla.sh: line 451: 10730 Segmentation fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Since the new Mozilla was in /usr/local instead of /usr/lib, I did the
following to make sure the new Mozilla would find the mplayerplug-in files:

ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/components/mplayerplug-in.xpt /usr/local/mozilla/components
ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so /usr/local/mozilla/plugins

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to get this working again.