[MPlayer-users] Re: Recoring this *.ram to WAV with mplayer works while logged in but not from at.

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Apr 11 19:13:43 CEST 2006

Jeff Clagg wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:44:42AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> It's not your fault - it's the fault of the person who packages
>> MPlayer for Debian, who is Christian Marillat IIRC. That doesn't
>> change the fact, however.
>
> I keep seeing this misinformation repeated. Christian Marillat does
> not package mplayer for debian because there IS no mplayer package in
> debian. It's only in his unofficial repo.

True enough. However, he does appear to be affiliated with Debian
himself (although I forget what led me to that conclusion), and his
packages are as close to "official Debian MPlayer" as there is - I would
not refer to a "MPlayer Debian package" (or vice versa, whichever the
correct terminology is), or identify him as "the MPlayer Debian package
maintainer" (there's no such thing), but I have no qualms about saying
that he "packages MPlayer for Debian". Just because it isn't available
through the official package repository doesn't mean that it isn't
packaged for Debian.

> Now everyone who uses that repo will hate me for being pedantic, but
> in my mind there is a huge difference. We can't refer to everything
> as being "in debian" just because someone has made a .deb for it.

And I didn't say that it was "in Debian"; it isn't. It is, however,
still "packaged for Debian" - distinct from simply putting things taken
from (the result of compiling) the CVS tree into a .deb file in that
modifications have been made to it, with the apparent intent of bringing
it closer to in line with the Debian philosophy (and eliminating proper
version reporting in the process).

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.