[MPlayer-users] Re: Recoring this *.ram to WAV with mplayer works while logged in but not from at.

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Apr 11 19:19:51 CEST 2006

Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2006-04-11, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>> After a bit of messing around with aptitude (some dependency
>>> confusion, probably of my own making, I am now here:
>>
>> I've noticed that aptitude can do that to you.
>
> What do you use/recommend?

For most purposes, simply apt-get (and apt-cache). It doesn't try to be
as "smart" as aptitude does about dependency resolution, but I find that
it will frequently arrive at the solution I wanted much more easily than
aptitude will.

Don't hesitate to try both for installing any particular package, and
see which one produces the easier solution; sometimes I use one and
sometimes I use the other, depending on whether I want more information
and complexity (aptitude) or just The Easiest Install Possible with a
slightly more clunky interface (apt-get).

Some people have told me that apt-get and apt-cache are deprecated and
unmaintained, but the one time I asked about that on one of the Debian
mailing lists I was told that I didn't need to worry about things like
'apt-cache policy' (which has no aptitude equivalent) disappearing any
time in the foreseeable future.

>> Be warned that this version number will get you ignored if you
>> attempt to make any bug reports; it eliminated the date of the CVS
>> timestamp (which should have been in the middle of that double
>> hyphen), which is contrary to MPlayer's packaging guidelines and
>> means that people who might otherwise handle such a report will
>> have no idea what version of the code you're actually using.
>
> I don't think I'm close enough to grasping all this stuff yet to make
> bug reports.

I may have misspoken - I think I meant "problem reports", which would
include the type of help request you made at the head of this thread.

The matter will become moot when and if you do get around to trying the
CVS version, however.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.