[MPlayer-users] Re: Recoring this *.ram to WAV with mplayer works while logged in but not from at.

Adam Funk a24061 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 10:06:11 CEST 2006

On 2006-04-12, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:
>>> It's very easy to compile your own Debian package of mplayer.
>>>
>>> 1. Get mplayer source as usual.
>>> 2. Run ./configure and look at what drivers/codecs are enabled.
>>> 3. Install libraries and -dev packages for drivers/codecs you want.
>>> 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you're happy.
>>> 5. $ export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS='--options-you --pass-to-configure'
>>> 6. fakeroot debian/rules binary
>>> 7. Install any necessary debian-building packages if step 6 fails.
>>
>> But what would be the advantage to me of doing all that to make and
>> install a binary package over just compiling the source code and doing
>> make install?
>
> Once you get it set up, steps 5 and 6 are the only ones that need doing
> each time. Anyway, besides what The Wanderer wrote, there are a couple
> advantages:
>
> * If you're about to remove some weird-looking library that you didn't
> know mplayer depends on, apt-get/aptitude/whatever will show you.
>
> * You can easily remove mplayer even if you don't have the source to
> 'make uninstall'. If you never uninstall mplayer this might not apply to
> you, but it still is a general advantage of making a debian package when
> possible.

Good points. I'll probably try it when I get round to compiling
mplayer myself.