[MPlayer-users] Re: Recoring this *.ram to WAV with mplayer works while logged in but not from at.

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Apr 13 20:04:44 CEST 2006

Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2006-04-13, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:
>
>>> Good points. I'll probably try it when I get round to compiling
>>> mplayer myself.
>> If you do, be sure to uninstall your non-packaged mplayer before
>> installing the deb package. Having two versions installed at the same
>> time can trick you.
>
> If they have the same package name, shouldn't installing the package
> (with the higher version number) remove the old one?

Yes, but not if your current mplayer installation is from a manual 'make
install' -- then it won't be in a package and apt/dpkg won't know
anything about it. If you don't 'make uninstall' your non-packaged
mplayer, you'll end up with /usr/local/bin/mplayer and /usr/bin/mplayer
at the same time, which is a recipe for confusion unless you
specifically intend to do it that way and are aware of which binary
you're running.

-Corey