[MPlayer-users] How to identify missing video-codec?

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 20 09:24:27 CEST 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> Correction: I meant the decoder. However, x264 still has a way to go before
> being 100% complaint, otherwise we would have seen x264 version 1.0. As a
> side note, I've used QuickTime 7 to encode H.264 material. True, it's
> noticably slower than x264, but 10-50 times slower, definitely not.

If you can point to any way in which x264's encoding is not compliant,
please file a bug report. Because I haven't heard of any for about 8
months.
Even 2 years ago when x264 was just beginning and didn't do much of
anything and was worse quality than ffmpeg4, it was already 100%
compliant, it just didn't use all the options allowed by the standard.
x264 still doesn't use all the options allowed, and neither does anyone
else, but x264 supports a much larger fraction than quicktime does.

x264 isn't version 1.0, it's version 46.504. Because I don't like to make
value judgments about one patch being important enough to cause a version
increment, so they all do. And before you ask about time-based releases,
go download a snapshot from whatever date you want. No, I won't support
any particular past version, my answer will always be "use svn" just like
you hear around here.

--Loren Merritt