[MPlayer-users] Re: Null bitrate shown when playing mkv xvid

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 13:12:37 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 4/20/06, Marco <brbromo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/19/06, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've just asked the mkv folks about this issue and they say that this
> > info just isn't present on mkv header, so there's no fix possible,
> > other than disabling printing this info it it equals to 0.
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to calculate the kbps rate from the stream
> size and length?

That's _maybe_ possible, but don't forget that most video files also
contain audio, therefore the method you suggest would pring the whole
file (audio+video+subs+...) bitrate.

I don't think it's a good idea to print an inaccurate information,
therefore I won't support implementing a pseudo-bitrate calculation
unless it can be accurate and fast (parsing the whole file is out of
the question, of course).

Guillaume

is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.