[MPlayer-users] Build problems with the cvs version of Mplayer.

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Apr 20 23:06:16 CEST 2006

George R Goffe wrote:
> Reimar,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> By the way, my use of capital letters is not intended to be shouting
> so please do not think that's what I'm doing, I use caps ONLY to
> emphasize.

Since you seem concerned about netiquette, check out this page:
http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/

...and read the linked pages about top-posting,
bottom-posting/interleaved-posting. Top-posting is discouraged around here.

> Just before the build I ALWAYS do a checkout and then a make
> distclean.

I think what Reimar meant was to start out with a _completely_ clean CVS
tree. As in, 'rm -r main' and do a fresh checkout. Every once in a while
a seemingly inexplicable error can creep into a local CVS tree and gum
things up.

> I think the "no such file/directory" msgs are related to the fact
> that the builds quit working but I'm not sure. Personally, I don't
> ever think of an error as "normal". Maybe if it's REALLY normal, the
> msg should be suppressed?

I have no idea except to say that I don't get any such errors. help_mp.h
is in the root of the mplayer source tree.

> I'm also getting a lot of error msgs about the "used" option and a
> TON of the error msgs about "PREFETCH". Something has changed
> somewhere. I'm trying to find out what. I have NOT changed my build
> utilities but there could always be bugs in them that are just now
> appearing. I don't know the code for Mplayer and was attempting to
> draw someones attention to the msgs in case there is a problem with
> Mplayer. I'm trying to aid in Mplayers development.
>
> I use scripts to build a LOT of different code (each has it's own
> build script) which allows me to re-build specific code, if
> necessary, with the EXACT same options that I used last time. I have
> done this with Mplayer as well and have NOT changed that script in
> several months.

If using a completely fresh CVS checkout doesn't help, try using CVS's
-D option (man cvs) to check out an older tree. See if you can go back
far enough to get to a point where mplayer builds for you and then use
binary search to narrow down the exact date in CVS where a change broke
building for you.

-Corey