[MPlayer-users] Re: Audio file size

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 18:33:07 CEST 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 05.24, Piotr Stachura wrote:

> Dnia środa, 26 kwietnia 2006 11:28, Oygle napisał:
>> I assumed the size problem was from mplayer, that's why I posted
>> here.
>> It is mplayer that created the 102.3 Mb WAV file from a 3.6 Mb WMA
>> file.
>
> I've got 35min long talk in 5.1MB file. When I decompress it to wav
> I've got
> about 350MB wav file. You really should read about bitrate. Also
> lame man
> pages lecture will be good.

Or a basic study in audio formats, compression, and bitrate.

>> I had three or four people listen to both the WMA and the resultant
>> MP3 file, and they all reported no quality loss, one of those people
>> works with sound desks, etc.
>
> On my small speakers I also can't tell that sound quality isn't
> well :P
>
>> Not interested in WMA, any burning to a CD gives the audio file title
>> as 'track 1', really helpful, whereas MP3 shows the filename as the
>> song title (...)

I'm just wondering, WHY are you even going from WMA to MP3? You're
losing a ton of quality, and you're not gaining anything by going to
MP3. If you want the ID3 tag info, just remux the file into an MKA,
and throw in your metadata. Or you could just find an editor that
manages to monkey with the WMA metadata.

> No comment

Same here (as to the logic, at least).

>> I'll look into oggenc, but have only heard of lame, it's well known
>> and already on the Linux box.
>
> Yes, ogg vorbis file is popular, and also better hardware can play
> it (iRiver,
> iAudio),

Well, a better way of phrasing it is "only better hardware." Pretty
much, ONLY iRiver players seem to have that functionality (don't know
about that iAudio thing, though)

> you should look also on AAC (also known as mp4) but this format is
> playable only? by iPod.

Actually, no. AAC is gaining in popularity, and plays on the iPod,
Palm Pilots (multiple programs), PSP, and I think a couple other toys
too.