[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Apr 28 19:10:40 CEST 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 03:24:04AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> > ...there's a bit more, though: I haven't mentioned qns. qns=2 makes
> > sharp high-contrast edges in encoded material look much better, but
> > slows down the encoding process dramatically.
>
> Much better? The doom9 comparison showed that lavc had problems with fine
> details. But high-contrast edges were no problem for any of the codecs.

There were two reasons for this: testing fallacies which doom9 refused
to acknowledge, and bugs. During the test bugs were discovered both in
lavc and xvid. The lavc bugs were quality issues. The xvid bugs were
conformance issues iirc.

> > - if you enable most high-quality options, lavc can look as good as
> > XviD but encodes much more slowly
>
> Probably right. But do you have any proove for "as good"?
> Does lavc support gmc?

gmc is intentionally not supported because it's an idiotic feature. It
makes streams that are MUCH slower to decode and does not improve
quality measurably.

> Does it support (a usability feature) like cartoon
> mode?

WTF does "supporting cartoon mode" mean? I don't see "cartoon mode"
mentioned in the ISO MPEG-4 spec anywhere. If you mean "does it have
analogous optimizations" then someone familiar with xvid needs to
explain wtf "cartoon mode" does so we can answer.

Rich