[MPlayer-users] Audio codec problem

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 17:09:09 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 8/4/06, Alex Waterman <imnotlistening at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When playing a DVD (Pulp Fiction, gotten of netflix) I have trouble playing
> the sound.

Pirate!!! Pirate!!! Pirate!!!

;-)

> The video is
> fine but the sound gets turned into this really high pitched
> squealing/squeaking sound.
>
> I scrolled up the output from my terminal and found this:
>
> Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
> Cannot find codec 'dts' in libavcodec...
> ADecoder init failed :(
> ADecoder init failed :(
> Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
> No accelerated IMDCT transform found
> hwac3: switched to DTS, 768000 bps, 48000 Hz
> AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 768.0 kbit/50.00% (ratio: 96000->192000)
> Selected audio codec: [hwdts] afm: hwac3 (DTS through S/PDIF)
>
> I conducted a normal install (./configure; make; make install) to build
> mplayer on a Fedora Core 4
> linux box with GCC version: 4.0.0 (I dont know if this is one of the
> supported versions) and an
> mplayer version of: MPlayer 1.0pre8-4.0.0
>
> Any ideas as to why the audio is dying?

Do you have libdts installed, or did you build mplayer with libdts support?
It's also known as libdca, which you can get here:
http://developers.videolan.org/libdca.html

> And one last question, does mplayer need a running X server to play audio?
> So if I were to run mplayer
> to play an mp3 from a box with no X server will it work?

Yep.

--
Conditional branch execution in SIMD vector processors are patented! :
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4435758.html