[MPlayer-users] divtc filter

Peter Gavin pgavin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 18:11:12 CEST 2006

Hi,

I've got an anime that I'm experimenting with different filters etc.
to try to get the best quality.  The dvd is in NTSC telecline format.
I have a question concerning divtc.

Is the divtc filter meant to be used in place of ivtc/pullup?  I don't
understand if it actually does the inverse telecline, or if its meant
to be used in combination with an ivtc filter, and just picks the
correct frame to drop (instead of leaving it to softskip).  If I do:

mencoder dvd://7 -vf pullup,divtc=pass=1,softskip -oac copy -ovc copy
-o /dev/null -ofps 24000/1001

followed by the same but with pass=2, mencoder still gives me lots of
"Skipping frame!" messages.  I guess this means that softskip is doing
its job.  But it also means that divtc isn't dropping frames.  (unless
divtc is making the "Skipping frame!" messages instead..)

mplayer.1 isn't too clear on when divtc should be used (at least to
me, anyways).  The first sentence in the divtc description is "Inverse
telecine for deinterlaced video."  Does that mean, "divtc is an
inverse telecline filter that should be applied to deinterlaced
video"?  Or does it mean "divtc is an ivtc filter that produces
deinterlaced video"?  I'm lost. :)

One other question... if -vf pullup,softskip is giving me some
combing/mouse teeth in a few frames of the output, am I doing
something wrong?  Or should I just stick a deinterlacing filter on
there and forget about it?

Pete