[MPlayer-users] install mplayer on fedora core 4, which way to go?

Rickard Närström rickard.narstrom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 07:11:37 CEST 2006

onsdag 09 augusti 2006 06:57 skrev P. W.:
> My questions are:
> 1. how are these two ways different?
The RPM contents pre-build binnaries, it takes less time to install and you
can uninstall it trow your packagemannager.

But the pre-build binnaries isn't optimized for your CPU and you can gain
slitly improvment in prefermanze by compiling mplayer your self. You also
gain the possibility to localize mplayers output and compile mplayers to use
what codecs/drivers you need.

You usually need to install a few *-dev packages to compile mplayer from
source.
> 3. For the rpm install, where are the installed files
> located or how to find them? I can use the commands
> like mplayer, mencoder after the installation, but how
> all the codec source, etc.?
mplayer usually install files:
$PREFIX/bin/mplayer
$PREFIX/bin/mencoder
$PREFIX/share/mplayer/
/etc/mplayer.conf

Where $PREFIX is /usr or /usr/local

codecs are dymanic links to the codec library in /usr/lib or statically linked
in the mplayer executible.

I don't know this particular RPM package but it shuld usually not install
other things.