[MPlayer-users] Extract .srt file from DVD

Rickard Närström rickard.narstrom at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 17:48:44 CEST 2006

tisdag 22 augusti 2006 14:27 skrev Muhammad Ichsan:
> Dear All,
>
> Is there any way to extract subtitle file from DVD with mplayer or
> mencoder? I've been googling but nothing found. I would like to
> extract directly from DVD than saving the vobs to my disk first. Is
> there any way?
>
> Thanks

No MPlayer can't extract it to .srt, but idx/sub, ex:
$ mplayer dvd://1 -dumpsub -vobsubout vobsub

This will creata a vobsub.idx and a vobsub.sub --- Note: this is image data --
each subtitle is stored as a image.

To convert vobsub to SubRipper (.srt) I usually use subtittleripper
http://subtitleripper.sourceforge.net/

There are tre tools you use to convert the subtitles:
1. vobsub2pgm -- this vill extract all images from the .sub file and create
one file for each image.

2. pgm2txt -- this will convert the images to text using OCR (some words may
end up misspelled)

2. srttool -- this will put all the txt files togetter to one .srt file.

(timestemps are in step 1 extrakted form the .idx file in an other file, to be
merged to the finnaly .srt file in step 3)

More info:
http://bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/en/single/index.html#subtitles_text

thay use transcode and subtitle2pgm instead of mplayer and vobsub2pgm... the
other steps are the same.