[MPlayer-users] x264 encoding/matroska/etc.

Peter Gavin pgavin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 20:28:12 CEST 2006

Hello,

So I've determined that its pretty much impossible (atm) to use
mencoder to create an x264 file which can be muxed into a matroska
container, and still maintain A/V sync.  I'm trying to backup my DVDs,
and my most recent attempt involved encoding using -of rawvideo, but
the A/V sync was way off.  If I use -of avi, the sync is perfect, but
of course, mkvmerge won't accept the file.

So... my question is this:  Is it possible to use mencoder to read the
DVD stream, decode the video, apply some filters, sync everything up,
then write an AVI containing the unencoded stream plus the audio?
Then, hopefully, everything would be synced correctly, and I could
feed it into some other encoder that can write mp4 files.

Will this even work, or am I just dreaming?

Pete