[MPlayer-users] x264 encoding/matroska/etc.

Peter Gavin pgavin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 22:29:25 CEST 2006

On 8/23/06, Piotr Stachura <albert1 at autocom.pl> wrote:
> Why, and what about "--engage allow_avc_in_vfw_mode" (in mkvmerge of course)
> option??

Well, that's a hack, and not the proper way to do things.  And MP4Box
gives a similar warning if you try converting the avi to mp4.  What we
*really* need is for -of lavf to work properly, so we can write mp4
files directly.  :)  (BTW, from what I understand, this is a
limitation of the mplayer internals, correct?  So there's really no
chance this will be working before G2 is finished, right?)

> You can also make another way, as you noticed, and encode file into ie. mjpeg,
> but it will be logical only when you want to make VFR destination - and if,
> then tell me what linux program you will use:]
> And a 3rd way, preffered by mkvmerge, create avi, use "avi2raw" for extract
> video from avi, use MP4Box to create mp4 file from raw, and - at least - use
> mkvmerge to create mkv from mp4 ... it's a little confuseing but ... and you
> you will have sync problem, when avi have NVOP-s.

Well, this is essentially the same as doing mencoder -of rawvideo -o
video.264.  You just skip the avi2raw step.  Unfortunately, I suppose
I'm more sensitive than most to a/v sync, and if it's off even the
smallest amount, the video is pretty much unwatchable for me.

Pete