[MPlayer-users] Full screen mode isn't actually full screen

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Aug 30 02:38:09 CEST 2006

Brian Dean wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> first of all do you have mplayer installed from the ubuntu repository or
>> from source.
>
> The mplayer from the repository seemed to have the same bug, so I
> decided to compile it from source.
>
>> for me it seems that your xv-extension don't work. If you have the
>> ati-driver installed (fglrx) and you use opengl try this :
>>
>> mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2,x11 <file>
>
> If I try that I get sound but no video output.
>
> Also, I notice the same bug as the mplayer from the repository in that
> if I use "mplayer -zoom" the sound won't be in sync with the picture.
> If I leave out the -zoom it works fine as far as I can tell.

It's not really a bug. Software scaling is slow, and if mplayer can't
render the video quickly enough then it soon falls behind. '-framedrop'
will enable frame dropping to maintain A-V sync, but you really don't
want to do that unless you absolutely have to. If at all possible, use a
video output that supports hardware scaling. '-vo xv' does, and will
work on most halfway-modern video cards.

-Corey