[MPlayer-users] Application/x-mplayer2 requires appropriate plugin

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 31 22:56:58 CEST 2006

Note: This mail, although in my mozilla mail sent folder, never got
posted. Mozilla's fault I think since happened before. So am resending
hoping it gets there.
Hello List,
I have a Kubuntu Dapper 6.0.6-1 system and can't get mplayerplug-ins to
play embedded videos(wmv mostly). Have posted this issue on Debian,
Ubuntu and Kubuntu user lists but no solutions. The embedded player pops
up with a greenish double cross in the player window and clicking on it
yields this message: "This page contains information of a type
(application/x-mplayer2)that can only be viewed with the appropriate
plug-in." The title of the error pop up is: X Default Plugin.
My KDE file association table has an entry for "application/x-mplayer2"
with nsplugin viewer at the top of the embedded list and MPlayer Movie
Player at the top of the General list. I have w32codecs and libavcodecs
installed. The problem is general and occurs on any embedded video I try
to play except something requiring flashplayer 8 gives a different
error. No user list I've posted to has even addressed this specific
error. Yes, I've googled for the error and tried solutions listed but
none worked.  I'm hoping that this list can give me some clue to a solution.
The same embedded videos on all other browsers available in Kubuntu will
play without problems but Mozilla browser(my preferred) just wont play.
Appreciate any clues. Not a linux expert but familiar with some Bash
console commands, apt, adept, synaptic, automatix and modifying conf
files. Looking forward to some new ideas for a solution from this list.
Thanks for any thought or comments,

Leonard Chatagnier