[MPlayer-users] Bug report: segmentation fault while playing/encoding a dvd with the -ss option

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Dec 1 17:58:49 CET 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:00:26 +0100
"Aym/Wedge" <wedge.ant at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, I want to apologize for my very bad English ...

Seems pretty good...

> I use the -ss option in addition of the -endpos option. With mostly
> 75% of the dvds, there is no problem, it works fine. But for the 25%
> left, it ends brutally in a segfault :(.

Yes, PTS resetting to 0 is a known issue.  You can try to use -sb
instead, or -edl (and probably -hr-edl-seek) with an edl file.

> [WORKS] mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/sr0 -aid 128 -oac mp3lame
> -lameopts abr:br=128 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=850 -vf
> pp=de,scale=720:-2 -o test.avi -ss 3180 -endpos 20

You really shouldn't postprocess before encoding, it will just waste
bits for little or nothing.

And scale "-2" won't ensure dimentions that are multiples of 16.

> This is also a bit annoying because I use the -ss option when the
> movie is too long to fit in a single 700 Mo cd. I need to split the
> encoding into parts, and it generally fails at the beginning of the
> second part of the encoding.

Better to encode to one big file first, and split afterwards
(preferably with avisplit rather than mencoder)

> MPEG Stream reached EOF
> ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: video)
>
> Flushing video frames
> Writing index...
> Writing header...
> ODML: Aspect information not (yet?) available or unspecified, not
> writing vprp header.
>
> Video stream:      nan kbit/s  (-2147483648 B/s)  size: 0 bytes  0.000
> secs  0 frames
>
> Audio stream:      nan kbit/s  (-2147483648 B/s)  size: 0 bytes  0.000
> secs Uninit audio filters...
> [libaf] Removing filter dummy
> Uninit audio: liba52
> Uninit video: libmpeg2

That obviously didn't work as intended, but I don't see a segfault.