[MPlayer-users] BUG: memory leak in endless loop mplaylist playing

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Wed Dec 6 08:07:31 CET 2006

Hi, all!

I'm using almost recent MPlayer dev-SVN-r21458-4.0.2.
While I playing with this command:
mplayer -shuffle -loop 0 -playlist playlist_file -af volnorm=2
I've got endless playing of course.

Then check a memory usage. I grows at about 50-60
Mbytes/per_day_of_playing of resident memory. I've checked for
some days, it grows to some hundreds of memory. It's a pity.

Each file in list is about 4-5 min length (in average), they're
mostly ogg music.

Then I've forced file switching in list (by '>' or '<' key). Memory
leak clearly appears: $ top -p <mplayer pid1> -p <mplayer pid2>
shows memory grow by about 200 Kbyte/per_new_file (resident
memory). This is in conformance with per day results (24*60/5*0.2
~= 58 MBytes/per day).

So, it seems that there is a memory leakage while switching to new
file in list. I'm slightly in doubt how debug this to provide
additional data.

I've checked with some previous versions (down to about pre8), it
seems it is a very old bug.