[MPlayer-users] MPlayer has problem playing file MP4 file

ajaxas ajaxas at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 05:47:30 CET 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 09:14 -0500, Ergzay wrote:
> I uploaded a file to the incoming directory on the mplayer ftp. Mplayer
> plays the file strangely as documented in the same named .txt file. I
> will copy what I said in there into here for reference.
> The file is named Soukou_no_Strain_06_[WinD](h264)[514C204C].mp4
> (add .txt for the txt file)
> I am using SVN Mplayer on mac os x 10.3.9.
>
> First of all mplayer reads the total length of the file as 2:32 (as you
> can see in the OSD). You can fast forward past this point up until 7:09
> at which the elapsed time resets and stays at 00:00:00.
> Also at this same time it gives the error:
> Invalid frame duration value (429.470/0.015 => -429.455). Defaulting to
> 0.042 sec.
> It continues to play except that the A-V delay jumps to 430 which it
> trys to correct. The A-V desync is actualy not there, but by trying to
> correct for the assumed desync it slowly goes out of sync. I can work
> around this by passing -mc 0 to mplayer. The other problem that is
> evident, is that past 7:09 you can't fast forward any farther. You can
> rewind but this takes you back to the very beginning. The encoder
> insists there is no problem with the way he did it. This file
> apparently plays perfectly in Media Player Classic and Zoom Player and
> almost so in VLC (instead there is a small graphical glitch at the 7:09
> time). Is this a bug in mplayer or a glitch in the file or both?

I think, this is an example of a faulty file and bad workaround on the
mplayer  side. Such a cooperation.
You can see another beautiful example of the mplayer's awful work
with .MP4 files if you download .hack//ROOTS by Anime-Source (try ep. 2,
3). Never ever seen anything like this, no workaround helps, and yes -
MPC+ffdshow, even Kaffeine play this files allright.

--
ajaxas <ajaxas at gmail.com>