[MPlayer-users] Encoding (DivX) (able to play on Windows?)

Jorge Fábregas jfabregas at onelinkpr.net
Mon Dec 11 04:43:41 CET 2006

Hello everyone,

I encoded a video with MEncoder (using lavc).  I can play the video fine with
mplayer.  However, when I boot into Windows and try to open the file with the
DivX official player I'm unable to do so. (it won't recognize the codec).  I
thought that divx and lavc were mpeg4 encoders... just different
implementations.

I want to encode some files here on Linux and I want to send them to 2 friends
who have DivX in Windows. Any ideas?

I"m still learning about digital video (codecs, formats, etc...).

This is the line I used to encode:

mencoder /home/jorge/stage/VOLUME_IDENTIFIER1.vob  -alang English   -info
srcform="ripped by jorge" -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=64  -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:v4mv:vqmin=2:vbitrate=1772 -vf
pp=de,crop=0:0:0:0,scale=414:-2    -o  /home/jorge/myFile.avi

Thanks,
Jorge