[MPlayer-users] Video from one, audio from another

Jason Greb jgreb at electronerdz.com
Sat Dec 16 22:23:48 CET 2006

I have been using mencoder to rip video off of Mini-DVDs recorded by Sony DVD Cams. (I've done about 100 DVDs, and will be doing about another 300). In these videos, GPS data is embedded in the audio stream. It sounds similar to a fax machine (very annoying, must keep speakers on mute). I've written a bash script along with Zenity that reads track 1, and rips each chapter separately into MPEG2 files:

mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device $dvddevice -chapter $chapternumber-$chapternumber -alang English -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg2:tsaf:vaspect=4/3 -o $outputdvdfolder/$foldername\_$chapternumber.mpg -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=4000:keyint=15:mbd=2:aspect=4/3 -vf pp=fd

It takes the audio track and just copies it over so no data is lost. It took the longest time for me to get it to play under Windows. Anyway, some of the videos were taken before the GPS attachments, and have regular sound. I've taped one chapter with GPS data in a known location, so I can manually edit the GPS data later in ArcMap.

I need to take the video out of the MPEGs missing the GPS data, and take the audio of the one file that I have recorded with GPS data, and mix them together. I've used Mplayer to do an audiodump, but when I try to use -ova copy (and pcm) and -audiofile out.wav, it never copies the audio into the file.

I've gotten the following:

Audio format 0x56444152 is incompatible with '-oac copy', please try '-oac pcm' instead....

Also, just to note, while doing all this mixing, I've take the one MPEG2 file and the sound, and used -ovc copy, and for some reason it creates an AVI instead. Do I need to specify more options for that part? Or can I encoded from MPEG2 to MPEG2 without losing anything (kinda like saving a JPG several times)?

Does anyone have an easy way to take two different sources and combine them?

Jason C. Greb
ElectroNerdz, Inc.
jgreb at electronerdz.com
http://www.electronerdz.com/