[MPlayer-users] XvMC Error

Toney tlists at indy.rr.com
Wed Dec 20 04:47:19 CET 2006

Toney wrote:
> When I play video with -vo xvmc, I get:
> FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo)
>
> Using -vo xv works fine.
>
> I am playing DVDs and NTSC television captured with mencoder.
>
> I am running MPlayer-1.0rc1 which I compiled with:
>
> DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="--enable-xvmc --with-xvmclib=XvMCNVIDIA
> --enable-gui --enable-menu --enable-largefiles"
> debian/rules binary
>
> I am using nVidia binary NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629.
> Kernel 2.6.18.3.
>
> AHA
> Toney

I received a reply from "RC" stating: "xvmc also needs -vc ffmpeg12mc"

I tried that advice with an mpeg4 video I had previously mencoded.  No
joy.

I then Googled and found a note that said ffmpeg12mc only works with
MPEG1 and MPEG2.  (Hence the name, I guess.)  I tried "-vo xvmc -vc
ffmpeg12mc" with a DVD and it works fine, with about half the CPU usage
of "-vo xv".

MPlayer rocks, and so does this list.

Many thanks.

Toney