[MPlayer-users] Bits per pixel

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Sun Dec 24 19:24:00 CET 2006

Hello,

> Is there a way to know the Bits/Px of a given video? For
> example, I used Acidrip to encode a video and I specified 0.249
> for Bits/Px which should be of good quality...However, when I
> play the video from the command line I don't see any value
> similar to .249 anywhere...
>
> Or do I have to find out that based on some formula (scaling,
> video bit rate,fps,  time...etc)???

Please read
DOCS/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-resolution-bitrate-compute
There you'll find formual for ResY, where CQ parameter is present.
It represents the number of bits per pixel and per frame of the
encode. So, you can calculate it 8-).

Notice: IMO 0.249 is too high even for archive purposes encoding,
modern codecs allow lower values (just read the article, mentioned
above).